Beverage Thickener Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose
|Product Name||Beverage Thickener Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose||Appearance||White Or Yellowish Powder|
|Raw Material||Refined Cotton||Function||Thickener, Emulsifier, Film-former, Binder, Dispersing Agent|
|Aplication||Bread, Cake, Beverage, Pie||CAS NO.||9004 65 3|
Beverage Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose,
Food Grade Methylcellulose PIE,
PIE White Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose
Chemical Name :Hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose (HPMC)
Molecular Formula :[C6H7O2(OH)3-m-n(OCH3)m(OCH3CH(OH)CH3)n]x
Structure Formula :
Where :R=-H , -CH3 , or -CH2CHOHCH3；X=degree of polymerization .
1. Appearance :HPMC is a white to light yellow powder or granular product .
2. Solubility: almost insoluble in absolute ethanol, ether, acetone; swelling in cold water into a clear or slightly turbid colloidal solution
3. Fineness(Graininess) :The oversize product above 100 mesh should not exceed 5 . 0% .
4. With reduction of methoxyl groups content , HPMC is increased in gelling temperature and decreased in water solubility and surface activity
5. Solubility varies with viscosity, the lower the viscosity, the greater the solubility
1. Resistance to salting out : HPMC is a nonionic cellulose ether and it is not a polyelectrolyte . The aqueous solution of HPMC is comparatively stable even in
2. Density: 1.39 g/cm3
3. the presence of metal salts or organic electrolytes . However, when the concentration of electrolytes exceeds a certain limit , gelation and precipitation may result .
3. Surface activity : An aqueous solution of HPMC has a high surface activity and functions as a protective colloid agent , emulsion stabilizer and dispersant .
4. Stability: The solid is flammable and incompatible with strong oxidants.
5. Thermal gelation :An aqueous solution of HPMC will gel or precipitate when heated to a certain temperature , but it reverts to the original solution state on subsequent cooling . The temperature at which gelation or precipitation occur depends on the type of HPMC , its concentration and the rate of heating .
6. Discoloration temperature: 190-200℃
7. pH stability :The viscosity of an aqueous solution of HPMC is hardly affected by acid or alkali , and the product can develop an original viscosity in the range of 3 . 0~11 . 0 . Therefore , the solution viscosity tends to keep stable during prolonged storage .
8. Water retention :HPMC is a high effective water retention agent . Its pharmaceutical grade product can be widely used in food , cosmetics and many other fields .
9. Film forming :HPMC provides a strong , flexible and transparent film having a good barrier property against oil and grease . In food application , this property is often utilized for water retention and oil adsorption . .
1. Appearance:White to light yellow powder or grains .
2. Specifications :
|Loss on drying,%||5 .0 max|
|Residue on ignition,%||1 .5 max|
|Heavy metals, ppm||20 max|
|Arsenic, ppm||3 max|
|pH||5 .0~8 .0|
|Viscosity(2% solution), mPa .s||In accordance with the viscosity specification as shown in table 2 .|
3. Viscosity specification
Specific range (2%
Specific range (2%
Note:The viscosity can be adjusted according to the special requirements of the customers .
【Purpose of Application】
HPMC can be directly applied to food not only as emulsifier, binder, thickener or stabilizer, but also as
packing material .
a) Thermal gelation and water retention of HPMC blocks oil absorption into food and moisture loss during frying, providing a fresh and crisp taste . Moreover, these properties aids in gas retention during baking for increasing baked volume and improving texture .
b) In molding food, the excellent lubricity and binding strength will improve its moldability and shape
Selection guide of products for food:
|Usage||Applicable type of the product|
|Bread and cake||MA-4000,F-4000,K-4000|
|Batter bread||MA - 15,F- 50,K- 100|
|Milky drink||MA- 15,E-50,F- 50|
|Filling of pies||MA -4000,F-4000,K-4000|
The product is packed in polyethylene bag enclosed in composite fiberboard drum or paper bag . The net
weight is 25 kg/drum or 25 kg/bag .
The product should be kept in the original bag and stored in the dry and clean place far away from the source of heat and not put together with other chemicals .
【Transportation and Storage】
The direct addition of the product to water causes the formation of lumps . Lumping results from incomplete wetting of the individual powder particles . Only the powder in contact with water dissolves and the formed gelatinous membrane prevents the remaining powder from dissolving , causing a delay in the dissolution time . The following three methods are recommended for dissolution without forming lumps . The most convenient method should be chosen according to the purpose of your application .